Thursday, 2 December 2010

The Survivor of the Forest

This is a short story that I also wrote in January.
I started with the first sentence and carried on, no idea where it would take me.
Hope you like it.

Molly



I jumped up off the rock that had been my home for so long now. I felt sweat drip down my face and cause my ruined top to stick to my aching back.
I had heard something, but it was silent now.
Was I going mad?
Had the months of being alone out here in the wilderness constantly in danger finally taken its toll on me?
I dropped back onto my rock, breathing heavily, heart thumping aggressively.
I was fed up of jumping at even the shake of the trees. I could remember the days, less than a year ago, that I’d been happy. I had a warm house filled with my family.
My mother, always so sweet and caring, only kind words leaving her lips.
My father, the provider, always ready with advice.
Sam, my favourite brother, what was he up to now?
Jay, so young, only seven, eight now, how could I have missed his birthday?
Kayla, my little Kay. Did she even remember me?
Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of her smiling face.
What I would give to see them.
But that was impossible.
I knew it was.
I was ‘bad news’ in our town. It would only be dangerous for me to see them again.
I shivered as the icy wind bit at my nose and fingers.
Winter was coming.
Could I survive the harsh winter months in just the clothes on my back?
I doubted it.
I doubted it very much.
Snap.
A twig broke under someone’s foot; a trespasser.
I jumped up, weapon in hands, ready at the slightest sound.
The wind temperature could drop and I’d be on edge.
I had to be ready for anything, anytime and anywhere.
I even checked the tops of the trees before reluctantly shutting my eyes at night.
I strained my sharp eyes and saw a colourful jacket hide itself.
My muscles locked and I let my animal side take over.
My only concern now was survival.
My blood turned to ice as the colourful jacket revealed itself from behind the trees.
My heart leapt and tried to break free from my ribcage.
I dropped my knife and struggled to remain conscious, let alone stand.
I tried to speak but my voice box seemed broken. I hadn’t spoken at all since fleeing to the forest that was my home.
I stumbled to the ground, my breath ripping out from my chest.
His eyes just stared at me until I choked out:
“You.”


4 comments:

  1. You should try to take some of your short stories a little further. You have a real talent, a bit of a dark side to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, I'll try to do that the next time I write a short story. I have noticed that my idea of 'short' is a lot shorter than everyone else's, but I don't want to get carried away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "short story" for NaNoWriMo is 50,000 words, and I think that's about right, considering most agents/publishers ask for 90,000 or more for full length novels. Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo? It's exhilarating and fun but aggravating at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't, but I had a look and have signed up for 2011! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete