We'd start with an idea or a name; in this case it was a name - Theo - and see how our imaginations differed and see which was best.
This is one of my favourites that came out of that game, and as it wasn't a competition of the best title it's simply called Theo.
I wrote it in July this year.
I hope you like it.
So calm, so collected.
You’d never know.
No one ever does.
I ruffle my hair and seat myself on my usual park bench, waiting, waiting.
And then I get up and move.
A strange ritual I’ve come to like.
I twist through the alleys, playing with whatever I shoved in my pocket this time.
I just can’t help it.
I love to steal things.
I love the thrill of getting away with it.
The heart thumping adrenaline pumping pace racing game.
Kleppy they call me round here.
They think I’m stupid. But I know it’s short for kleptomaniac.
And I know that’s what I am.
And I’m not even ashamed.
Why should I be?
It’s just a hobby. Like dancing.
But I dance with the law.
I pass a girl in a short alley and she gets as far away from me as possible.
Now that bothers me.
I would never hurt anyone. I hate seeing people upset or scared or hurt.
I’ve always been a nice person.
I turn the corner and find Kevin.
God I hate that boy.
“Ugh!” He pretended to be disgusted by me. His cronies laughed. “Look who it is! It’s Kleppy!”
I didn’t give him the satisfaction of the spoken English language.
Just the finger.
“Oooohh.” They all coursed.
I sighed and tried to move on, but they blocked my way.
“Watch out Chris! He might nick you!”
They all jeered and began singing ‘Kleppy’ at me.
My far from strained temper snapped and I punched Kevin in the face.
Hard.
Silencing them.
“It’s Theo.” I informed them calmly before walking, or almost gliding away.
So calm, so collected.
You’d never know.
No one does.
I so enjoy the darkness that seeps into your writing. It is something I wish I could master and you do it so effortlessly.
ReplyDeleteThank you! :D
ReplyDelete