The title could be a lot better I admit, but it was only so the document had a name :)
It feels like such a long time ago that I wrote it, but I still like it (otherwise I wouldn't post it!)
It's simply called Death.
I hope you enjoy it.
Look both ways before crossing the street.
I turned my head from left to right, taking note of the dangerous corner before crossing. It’d been a good day, cold - snow was falling softly on the icy ground, but good. I hugged my French coursework closer as I stepped out into the road.
Maybe he hadn’t looked, maybe he hadn’t seen me, maybe the fault was mine. I’ll never know.
A car came speeding around the corner screeching as it attempted to brake in time. I only had time to gasp and stare at the headlights before the bonnet connected with the top of my legs. It hit me at such an angle that I flew over the top of the car and landed on the bonnet of the car behind. My head crashed into the windscreen and sent shards of glass into the air to dance with the snow.
I stared up blankly at the sky, watching the gentle snow drift towards me. Each snowflake felt like a red-hot poker as it touched my face. I heard screaming and shouting but I made no noise. I didn’t shriek, I didn’t cry, I didn’t yell, I just laid there staring up at the beauty that was the sky.
My blood seeped around me, covering my clothes and hair, turning the pure white snow a deathly crimson. The pain caught up with me as I took a breath. It was indescribable, unendurable, impossible.
I shut my eyes to get away, feel alone. I never saw the snow again. Never saw the sky. Nature and all its splendour lost forever.
I concentrated on the burning snow until I noticed my favourite song playing in my ears. My I-pod had survived and was playing me a departing tune. I blocked everything out, focussed solely on the music, the angel’s voice singing, music was remarkable. I never heard anything else. No voices, no shouting, it was peaceful.
I never listened to another song, never got to the end.
Never heard my breath in my lungs, the beat of my heart.
My mind blanked, I could no longer hear my song.
For a second there was only pain.
Fear.
Then nothing.
Beautifully written - takes the bleak and makes it sing - awesome
ReplyDelete